Wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process, and most people consider wrinkle treatments at some point in their lives. These lines occur most frequently in areas exposed to the sun, such as the face, neck, back of the hands, and forearms. Over time, skin gets thinner, drier, and less elastic, ultimately causing wrinkles, which can manifest as either fine lines or deep furrows. In addition to sun exposure, premature ageing of the skin is associated with smoking, heredity, and skin type. There is also a higher incidence among people with fair hair, blue eyes, and light skin.
Southern Illinois summers are notoriously hot and sunny, putting residents of the area at a higher risk of developing wrinkles later in life. If you want to treat your fine lines and wrinkles, make an appointment at our Mt. Vernon, IL clinic. A dermatologist can explain the range of treatment options we offer and help to create a strategy for achieving a smooth complexion.
Our Offered Wrinkle Treatments
Wrinkle treatments can run the gamut, from topical creams and moisturizes to cosmetic procedures. The most commonly performed wrinkle treatments at our Mt. Vernon office include:
- BOTOX® or Xeomin®: Injecting a very tiny amount of product into a specific facial muscle can cause local relaxation, smoothing the skin and eliminating fine lines and smaller wrinkles.
- Dermal Fillers: These wrinkle treatments lift and fill out the skin to create a smoother, more subtle appearance, which reduces wrinkles and helps reshape and enhance the face.
- Intense Pulsed Light Therapy (IPL): This unique laser system utilizes non-invasive technology to safely treat find-line wrinkles, skin redness (rosacea), brown spots, and sun damage.
- Laser Genesis: This treatment utilizes non-invasive technology to safely, discretely, and effectively treat fine-line wrinkles, large pores, uneven skin texture, diffuse redness, and scarring.
- Microneedling: Simulates your skin’s natural ability to produce new collagen and elastin for healthier, younger-looking skin.
- Medically Directed Skin Care Products: These skin care products are stronger than those available over the counter. They are available only with a doctor’s prescription and direction. Visit the Skin Care Center of Southern Illinois to meet with a dermatologist and explore your options.
The best wrinkle prevention is to keep the skin moisturized and use sunscreen to prevent additional damage from the sun.
Frown Lines vs. Wrinkles
Frown lines, also known as fine lines, are typically defined as lighter, shallower creases. Without treatment, these lines will eventually turn into deeper-set wrinkles, which can be harder to hide and/or treat. Wrinkle treatments are most effective when fine lines and frown lines first appear, so if you notice lines around your face, consult your dermatologist.
Visit Our Clinic
While many over-the-counter products advertise effective wrinkle treatments, only products used by dermatologists are strong enough to yield noticeable results. Don’t let aging skin alter your confidence. If you’re curious about how wrinkle treatments may improve your complexion, visit our clinic.
Contact us to schedule your consultation today.